When I had signed up for the Getaway Travel Bloggers Conference, I decided quite quickly that I was going to be a player and not just a spectator. I approached the venue, the Upper Eastside Hotel, with a value exchange: I tweet and blog about the day and the event and in exchange you give me a bedroom so that I can have a proper after-party and just roll into bed. I was happy to receive a positive e-mail response from the manager and there you go: a win-win situation created for all.
Here are my top 10 reasons why this is a super cool place:
- On my confirmation it said: Loft Suite King. They had upgraded me already! Wow!! I hate staying in ‘standard’ rooms. I don’t understand why hotels have them. Shouldn’t each room be a suite, a loft, extraordinary and special? Just like each guest is a VIP.
- Delicious breakfast snacks upon arrival: chocolate muffins, fresh fruit sosaties and large amounts of coffee and tea.
- The spaciousness of everything (conference rooms, lobby area, suite, shower); it’s all very well laid out. I LOVE the rooftop herb garden!
- No technical hick-ups during conference other than a passionate speaker throwing his microphone off because of his enthusiastic gestures. I can’t begin to tell you the amount of events I’ve attended where the audio-visual equipment was far from ‘state-of-the-art’….
- Serving potato chips for lunch just like my Mom used to make them. The only thing missing was the mayonnaise (hm ya I’m Dutch so mayonnaise is a BIG thing).
- The bed. I slept like a rose.
- Hairdryer and mirror in the right place. YES!
- The most delicious sticky pork dish. I did have to wait 45 minutes to get it but it was worth it and in de meantime Keith shared a pasta dish with me so I was well taken care of.
- Super friendly, helpful and professional staff everywhere.
- Old fashioned turndown service with chocolates, slippers and a bathrobe. Love it!
There was one strange thing. When I walked into the shower, there was only 1 dispenser which said: ‘Body lotion’. Hmmm, it would be a bit difficult to wash my hair with that right? Not washing my hair was not really an option; it goes with the rituals of getting over a hangover (loooong shower, lotsa water, BIG breakfast). So what to do? I checked the other amenities, but no shampoo. I certainly didn’t feel like calling reception and bring me some. But then my blond brains cells started to work and thought: Maybe it’s just the wrong bottle, maybe there IS shampoo inside? So I just tried and that was exactly the case. At least, I think it was, it felt and smelt like shampoo so I was sorted. Phew! If someone reads this, maybe you wanna check 505 and change the bottle in the shower?
My stay was finished off with a delicious breakfast of omelette, fresh fruit and coffee and a nice catch up chat with @mzansigirl. Time to go home now!
Big thank you to all the staff of the Upper East Side Hotel for letting me stay. I had a great day & night and enjoyed every second of it. You’re doing an awesome job in a beautiful space.
Thank you for Cape Town Tourism for making the day possible!
The photos in this post were provided by the hotel. The crappy pictures I took with my Blackberry really wouldn’t do justice to the colourful venue.
If you would like to read more about the conference please read my other posts and follow the links below: